Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory Password Strength

From: "Riedl, Steve Thomas" <sriedl () KU EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:38:51 -0600

You can set logging so that you can see success or failure from any
client that tries to auth against the DCs. Also keep in mind that the AD
uses a centralized SAM database so password requirements affect the
entire domain not just certain organizational units. There are also some
VB tools out there that can assist in setting this whole thing up as far
as getting a list of PWD last changed dates and with some modifications
you can actually create a pwd change event without actually changing the
password. This is helpful if you want to tell users something like
starting today you will have to change your password every 30 days. It
kind of brings everything up to a baseline. We used some of these tools
and made some mods on an AD with about 1000 users and everything went
well.