Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Perhaps OT - recommendations for vendors of prox/mag stripe readers and management software

From: "Dunker, Mary" <dunker () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:02:25 -0500

Virginia Tech uses Sonitrol card readers for our data center access, and
Bioscrypt biometric readers for machine room doors.  Although I have
been told that the biometric readers can be networked, this was not done
with the current Bioscrypt readers.  We have recommended that the
biometric devices be networked so they can be centrally managed. I am
not aware of any significant problems with either solution, but if you
want more information, I would be happy to try to point you to another
resource for an offline discussion.

Mary

Mary Dunker
Director, Secure Enterprise Technology Initiatives
Virginia Tech Information Technology
1700 Pratt Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 231-9327