Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identifiers on ID Cards

From: jack suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:31:02 -0500

We are going through this process now bringing up a new ID card system.

It is hard to convince people you don't want id's associated with
data in your systems on the card because it is so easy to get batch
feeds and this information is somewhat static -- but you really
don't. We had to show people that if you put infomation on the
magstripe tightly tied to a user it is a security risk. Magstripe
writers are pretty cheap. Getting blank cards is easy. If you have
some identifier on the magstripe associated with a system then people
who can get access to that data in the system could potentially
create fake cards. With those cards they have access to facilities or
access to funds on the one-card.

Worse, to meet davids point of revocation of the id card, what is
common practice in the industry is to use a base identifier and then
add two digits for the issue level. If you lose the card you
increment the issue level by 1. Of course, if the card is stolen it
is simple to reproduce the "reissued" card because you know they will
just increase the issue level by one.

We're going with essentially a throw-away ISO identifier that is not
tied to any system. The user won't even know (or need to know) what
the number is on their card. If they lose it they will get a new card
with a new number.

The challenge in doing this is you have to have an identity
management system in place that can handle the mapping. You also have
to build in some integration between the card system and other
systems using the card. When someone loses their card you reissue a
new card and then push out the new identifier on the magstripe to the
other security systems using the card, in our case we have lenel. The
downside with this is it adds more work to central IT and most people
don't recognize the benefits that come from this.

jack suess