Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identifiers on ID Cards

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:53:17 -0500

Some suggested factors to consider in its selection (and it might be
visible which way I lean on these):

- Opaque; If the ID means nothing outside your system nor to the user, it's
less subject to vanity issues

- Permanent;  Never re-used. The person is unique over time (we hope), so
shouldn't their printed ID also be?

- Secrecy (not);  merely private/personal but never remains a true secret
(and hard to change) so not used as authenticator/password to valuable access.

- Unique;  Synonymous with personal name (e.g. "which Bob Jones are you,...
ID number?")