Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Domain Controller Attacks

From: Wayne Bullock <wayne () FAU EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:08:17 -0400

Yup, the "220 Reptile is ready to serve" appears to be our most common
problem by far. There appears to be one other similar ftp server variant
as well.

We have put some router access-lists in that help and I've asked that
the servers be moved to a more secure subnet. This will likely occur
early next week. Additionally, we're pulling infected machines of the
network as they appear.

On the Active Directory Domain Controller server side, Windows NT
support is no longer a big issue but SAMBA support is, which appears to
be a related issue. So, some of the Windows security things they'd like
to, they can't without disrupting those folks.

I really appreciate everyone's help,

        --Wayne

Wayne Bullock
Associate Director, Network Services