Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CALEA

From: Luke Sheppard <lshep () TCPIPLAB COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:53:34 -0700

Randy,
    Thanks. I'm at a private univ. so I don't have access to that stuff.
I might be able to find a contact that could give it to me. But you know
how it goes: my boss wants the paper today in about an hour. What I was
able to find out is that everyone is just waiting for that final
"order" to come down from the FCC. A couple of vendors (Cisco &
Enterasys) have features in their network hardware/software that can do
the intercept piece but we'd have to get some 3rd party software to make
sense of the captured packets and reformat it for presentation to law
enforcement. Another option is to hand the whole problem over to a
"trusted 3rd party" that will, for a fee, take care of everything from
receiving court orders to intercept, presentaiton, etc. Verisign offers
"NetDiscovery" for this. ANother option is Fiducianet, a small outfit
started by a former CALEA guy from the FBI. Let me know if you find
anything else out.

Luke Sheppard, CISSP
lshep () tcpiplab com

<<<Randy's reply omitted>>>