Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing security scanning (internal and external)

From: Greg Francis <francis () GONZAGA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:32:55 -0700

We don't currently follow any model for information security. Up until now
we have had a very loose security policy with most of it being completely
undocumented. Our work on security tends to be reactive rather than
proactive with any significant changes coming as a result of negative
events. Over the years that has created a loose plan but far from being
comprehensive and very little of it being organized. Security emphasis has
mostly been in those areas that we consider higher risk but there are
still many, many gaps to work on.

I think that the security scanning part is considered low hanging fruit
for us because it can be blanketed across the network with little concern
for the device being evaluated. It might help us identify things that are
currently on the network that we might not even know are there. Plus, it
creates a nice tidy report that makes some upper management people. I wish
that wasn't a huge concern but we have a set of trustees on on the
technology committee that think they know everything about everything and
that has created major pressure on the technology staff to prioritize
things in perhaps a less than optimal order.

Our work with Nessus has had its ups and downs. It has primarily been a
workstudy project. This year's workstudy has already made tremendous
strides in the reporting that is coming out of it and I expect to see a
lot more improvement over the next month.

Myself and one of my other admins are spending a lot of time collecting
information together on security policy and models. It's tough though when
your life is spent going from one project to the next with security just
being one of the many. Fortunately, some progress is being made.

I appreciate your willingness to answer questions on this list. No doubt
it will prove to be a valuable addition for the information we collect.

Thanks,
Greg