Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing security scanning (internal and external)

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 05:42:12 -0600

Dear Greg,

Why are you wondering about whether or not your current scanning
program is effective?  Do you have a model that you follow for
information security within your organization?  (i.e. NIST 800 Series,
COBIT, ISO17799) I would recommend that before you arbitrarily decide
to scan once per month, that you conduct a risk assessment to see the
extent of your vulnerabilities.  NIST provides a great model with
questions that will help you determine the risk of each system.  (It's
meant for government, so there will be some emphasis on classified
systems, but if you do not have "classified" information, you
generally do not have to worry about those particular controls.)  Once
you have rated your systems based upon risk and exposure, you can
create a plan that includes which systems needs to be scanned at what
frequency.

I want to be upfront and tell you that I own a company that performs
risk assessments and vulnerability scanning.  We prepare the system
security packages using NIST as described above for many of our
clients.  However, many of our clients are able to do this analysis
for themselves with minimual or no assistance.

The model that we use for scanning is not based upon number of systems
to scan.  Rather, we base it upon a hybrid approach that looks at what
particular kinds of systems that you have, as well as a variety of
other factors.

So, as always, I am willing to help you with any questions that you
may have concerning the process.  I will help you find the NIST
documents that you need if you decide to go that route, or whatever
else you need.  I consider my time on the boards answering questions
my "public service" time and my efforts are focused simply on
improving the information security infrastructure of all of our
country's information systems.  With this being said, I am happy to
give you as much free advice as you need.

Sincerely,

Sarah E Stevens, CISSP, CISM, GCIH
President
Stevens Technologies, Inc