Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Updates and Cisco Clean Access

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:44:39 -0400

We ran into the same problem here at UVM when implementing NetReg.
There are a list of DNS names by which Microsoft provides access to
Windows Update, but they are frequently CNAMEs which point to various
ISPs which get rotated.  I ended up writing a script which re-generates
the list of DNS names and IP addresses that are allowed based upon the
result of certain DNS queries.  We do this for other sites besides
Windows Update, such as Trend Micro's "Housecall" (which helps in
cleaning up virus-infected machines in the unregistered subnets.)

I'd be happy to share the list of names with you if it would help.  I
have to admit that I'm kind of surprised that CCA/Perfigo doesn't
already do this, though.

Jim Lawson
Technical Support Group, Computing & Information Technology University
of Vermont Burlington, VT USA

We also found the same problem with our NetReg setup. To solve it, we went with 'squid' to
filter URLs. Filtered URLs have access to a full services DNS server. So now we can use
*.microsoft.com, *.symantec.com, etc.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto