Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Updates and Cisco Clean Access

From: "Franklin, Elliott" <franklin () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:13:21 -0500

This is a response from our network lead who implemented CCA a month or
so ago:

I got tired of trying to keep up with the IP's used for windows update.
Using the host names is much better, but even then it's a moving target.
Microsoft sometimes adds new sub domains and in the latest version of
the update page it's a url under microsoft.com.

We are allowing traffic to everything ending in microsoft.com and
g.msn.com. That way the updates always work (so far) and students can
search for and download patches manually. There are cases when windows
update claims that a machine is fully patched but it is still missing
something. The helpdesk can tell what's missing from the reports and the
student can search for KBxxxx and download and install it manually.

Anders Engle
Systems Programmer I
Texas State University