Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for data recovery?

From: "Koerber, Jeff" <jkoerber () TOWSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:10:19 -0400

We have used Ontrack Data Recovery and they have performed miracles with recovering data (even on a hard drive that had
been overwritten with a new image).  The down side is that they aren't cheap.  It runs $100 for them to analyze your
media.  They will then give you a list of files that can be recovered and a quote (usually between $200-2000 additional
for a single hard drive) for a full recovery.

I have never used them for an RAID array, but I know that they can recover them.

If the hard drive is still functional, you can even install their software so they can do a remote recovery which will
save you time and shipping.

You can get a discount if you use their partner program (see http://www.ontrack.com/partner/).

Jeff Koerber
Field Support Coordinator