Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment - IT roles?

From: Chris Bennett <bennetc () LCC EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:57:17 -0400

Our system (DIVR Systems) was implemented after a major incident
occurred and the IT area stepped in and said that we would run the
project with input from the Public Safety office on camera locations.
Because of that, we built an architecture using what we new.  Software
on Linux on a blade server with a TB of SAN storage and all traffic
being IP.  We work closely with our Media department and used them for
camera specs and issues, but IT ended up doing or contracting all the
wiring and system setup.  IT still pays for all the server gear and
equipment, but the Public Safety Office is adding cameras and they are
going to buy them.  IT also handles the archiving right now.  We monitor
the system for functionality, but only the Public Safety Office monitors
the video feeds.  None of our current cameras have sound recording
capabilities, except for the standalone Data center monitoring system
(Netbotz, Inc.).

LCC has placed "you are being video taped" on every door to alert people
to that fact, but we also did write a policy that the Public Safety
Office would not be actively monitoring all cameras and that the video
surveillance system is primarily for investigative purposes.  This was
to set an expectation that Public Safety would not be able to show up
automatically if something happened in the vicinity of a camera and to
let people know that they would not be watching them all the time.

LCC has also been looking into setting up the system to allow you to
"check the entrance" of your building before you leave.  This would be a
view defined for your building and would not give you access to look at
any other camera view.  This is primarily for our buildings that are
open most of the night.

Faigle, Chris wrote:

Hi. May I please also ask what roles IT vs. Campus Police has in terms of:

-         Ultimate ownership of the project

-         Design of architecture

-         Installation of cameras and wiring

-         Supporting servers and associated network

-         Video archiving

-         The actual monitoring of the video

Thank you very much,

Chris Faigle

IS Security

University of Richmond