Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment - IT roles?

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:06:32 -0500

Chad McDonald wrote:

I quickly recommended that our IT staff get out of the Camera business
and instead focus on our core compentencies.  We have in the past
supported camera systems and DVRs but the support that we are actually
able to provide is limited to rebooting the DVR or assigning and IP
address.  All other issues have to be referred to the manufacturer or
a repair center.  That being the case, we have moved ownership of our
80+ new cameras and 50+ legacy cameras to Public Safety.  Our office
worked with physical plant, the vendor, and public safety to develop
requirements and installations plans.  We encouraged Public Safety to
purchase a comprehensive maintenance plan for the cameras and the
DVR's.  Monitoring and archiving are the responsibility of Public Safety.

Do you have any policy on who can put up a camera, whether it is
publicly accessible, etc?
Do you require disclaimers that an area is under camera surveillance?
Do any of the
cameras have microphones?

I'm worried about FERPA, and displaying images of students.