Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WEP

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:36:34 -0500

Chad:

We have moved from WEP to WPA with a transitional period where both are
available.  Our long-term goal is to move to 802.11i, but most of our
students don't have 802.11i compatible wireless cards yet.  I believe that
all Wi-Fi certified cards made since 2003 or so have to be WPA compatible,
so we thought that a reasonable compromise.  Also, many Wi-Fi cards have the
ability to become 802.11i compatible via a future firmware upgrade (the card
in my Dell laptop fits that description).  When 802.11i becomes more
ubiquitous and supported, then we plan to upgrade to this standard (which is
supposedly simple from WPA).

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater