Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WEP

From: Dean De Beer <ddb () PLAZACOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:23:30 -0400

Hi Chad,

We never used WEP. We found that deploying a wireless infrastructure using
WEP was simply not viable. Security concerns aside, distributing keys and
dealing with help desk calls would have been impractical. The I.T. Staff is
just too small. We decided on open APs with wireless gateways (Bluesocket)
between the WLAN and LAN. Authentication is via RADIUS with IPSec VPNs for
all administrative staff. Students never needed to be given new passwords,
etc.. as their existing logins were used. We found education through the use
of wireless policies helped by explaining the security issues with wireless
such as unencrypted data easily sniffed, etc... and offered options such as
SSL, VPN, etc...

We currenly have a distributed Kismet IDS system in place but we are looking
at Wireless IDS/IPS products like BlueSecure, Airmagnet and RF Protect to
provide an additional layer of security.

Cheers,

Dean