Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: educuase (the mailing list) and pgp/gpg signatures

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:36:10 -0500

Apparently, breakage of S/MIME sigs by list processors is more common than
not.  Till recently, I'm told, all but one mainstream list processor broke
S/MIME.  However, our postmaster recently upgraded our listserv-based
system, and it no longer damages S/MIME sigs.

Peter Moody wrote:
Hello -

I'm not sure if this is an issue for anyone else or not, but the
listserv software used by the educause folks completely breaks
cryptographic signatures by adding the footer that it in the way it
does.

I've sent messages to the admins but it appears they've been ignored. It
seems curious to me that a security oriented list such as this one,
would use software which negates the security provided by gpg/pgp and
cryptographic signatures.

Other lists use listserv software which doesn't break signatures like
educuase's does, and it would seem to me to be a worthwhile investment
of time to try and find a solution which would work in the educause
environment.

Regards,
-Peter