Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Merchant services credit card project

From: Steve Bernard <sbernard () GMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:35:22 -0400

Specific access controls seem to be about as nebulous as the use of
NAT.  They don't specify how NAT should be configured, just that NAT
should be used.  So, if I give a processing system a private RFC-1918
address, but map it to a public IP address on the external interface
of the NAT gateway, anything sent to the public IP address will be
forwarded to the private without change ... unless a proxy or other
application layer inspection is performed, but they don't say
anything about that.  My example is only one of many possible uses of
NAT/PAT, but it serves to illustrate the point.  It seems to be
constructed as to require that you have one of their approved
assessment partners come in to provide the answers and sign off on
any compensating controls that don't match their check list
explicitly.  From what we were told by one such partner, all items
must have a positive response, or an approved compensation.

Steve