Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Desktop Imaging/Refresh & DOS & LanManager compatiblility & Risk

From: Are Leif Garn}sjordet <a.l.garnasjordet () USIT UIO NO>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:43:26 +0200

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, James H Moore wrote:

I naively asked when we could get rid of LANManager compatibility.  What
finally surfaced was that Altiris(tm) and Symantec Ghost(tm) both were DOS
based, and the only password protection that can be achieved was through
LANManager.

How are people handling this?

For awhile we used Ghostcast over PXE from a RIS server, but it was a pain
to keep the ghostcastserver running with multiple sessions all the time.
Automating it was not fun and we never got it to work properly.  At the
moment we run RIS, Windows PE and ghost32 and it is much smoother and with
far less driver problems. PE supports Kerberos authenticating. I wouldn't
do this unless your internal network is 100 mbit or higher.

/ArG
USIT/CITS  Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo