Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklists - URL and IP

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:46:39 -0400

Many other Finanical institutions are now beginning to put SPF into place,
either in testing "~all" or production "-all" DNS records.  I am now
beginning to see SPF failures for many bank "Phishing Scams" due to this
trend, and I am sure this trend will continue as it is a cheap and reliable
mechanism to prove the email is actually from them.

Another alternative is now taking legs, DomainKeys Identified Mail.  DKIM is
a cryptographic authentication technology being created through the merger
of Yahoo's DomainKeys with Cisco's Identified Internet Mail.

These technologies are *NOT* designed to detect spam, nor should they be
used to assign a postive value to email that pass the tests.  What they do
is simple, verify that the sender of an email is coming from where they
claim they are.  The rest is up to you and your spam filters.

Cheers!

~Dave Koontz
 Mary Baldwin College