Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:13:09 -0400

The first question should probably be, "should this be an IT policy or a
campus legal policy?" We do reference something similar in our CNUP but
it is not for protecting business process but rather IT process.

Unacceptable Uses...
" Attempt to alter or obscure your identity or your computer's identity,
including but not limited to IP Address and email address, while
communicating on any network"

From http://www.keene.edu/policy/cnup.cfm

If someone is causing a problem with a business process there should be
a business rule regarding it.  Whether it happens on the phone, postal
mail, email, inter-office memo, etc, etc it is fraud.

My suggestion is to find out if there is a campus policy for someone
misrepresenting themselves and if it explicitly states via phone, mail,
etc then get all technologies wiped from the policy and have it read
"via any communications."

If you still choose to take the IT perspective, just write up something
that forbids falsifying identity when using your resources regardless of
intent.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer