Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: MS Active Directory and FERPA

From: Bradley Ellis <Bradley.Ellis () ITS MONASH EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:10:38 +1000

Hi,

I've been wrestling with this issue as well.  We've held back
from populating a semi-sensitive user attribute in our AD
because the default permissions allow "authenticated users"
to read a great number of user attributes, including the one
we'd like to populate.  We looked into modifying the default
ACL's on all user objects but we have long-term performance
and support concerns about replacing one "Read All
Properties" DACL with potentially 250+ DACLS on every user
object just to be able to restrict one attribute.

You could go down the "Deny Access" Path - As is MS Land,
Deny's take precedence over Allows.

        Eg. Use the Users Group (or some other custom group)
        and Deny them read access to the sensitive attribute(s).

Any Account that you want to have access to the Sensitive
Attribute must not be a member of the Users Group (or other
custom group) as the Deny will overwrite the Allow.

Hopefully this should also be fairly easy to manage
in your account creation procedures and easy to audit.

Cheers,
Brad.
--
Bradley Ellis
Senior IT Security Officer, Infrastructure Services