Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Administration

From: Greg Schaffer <schaffer () MTSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:51:58 -0500

Our original campus firewall was installed more to protect the network
from disruptive events (DOS, etc) than to provide server and data
security (although the latter was an importatnt feature).  This grew out
of using ACL's for essentially the same purposes.  Now that this has
grown into a system of enterprise firewalls, administrative duties still
resides in Network Services, although is in the process of being
transitioned to the IT Security group.  Which is not a problem, because
the IT Security group is a subset of Network Services.  But we quickly,
consistently, and often point out that we enforce policy, not create it.

To perform scans, ID, etc, security groups have to have complete and
overall access to all components of the network, almost by definition.
Conversely, firewalls are, essentially, network devices at the core
(usually routers).  They participate in route updates, route multicast,
etc.  The network folks have to manage that.  Now, I can see where the
security groups manage the firewall software itself (ruleseroup, etc)
while the network group manages the hardware, OS, and connections;
that's really the best way to do it if security and network groups are
separate.

Remember what firewalls do: they break network connections.  And who is
responsible for network operation?

Greg Schaffer
Director, Network Services
Middle Tennessee State University