Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Administration

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:10:49 -0400

Well, our IT Security group IS our networking group...
I look forward to the discussion.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
GnuPG ID 43061C16, Public key http://www.calfrye.com/cfrye.asc

  "I'm Cal Frye and I approved this message."

Hart, Lee Anne wrote:
If you don't mind sharing, who maintains your firewalls - hardware and
operating system, not the firewall software? Currently, our IT Security
team are the only people with access to our firewalls, but our
networking group is asking for some rights to maintain the hardware and
to be able to reboot them. I have mixed feelings about this and wanted
to know how other organizations handle this. Also, what are some of the
pros and cons of this?  Thanks,

Lee Anne Hart
IT Security Analyst
Montgomery College