Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Default Deny Policy at Internet Border

From: Mark Poepping <poepping () CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:22:11 -0400

It seems to me reasonable that there will be a difference of opinion and
effect of default allow versus default deny.  Your particular approach
should be guided by your institution's needs and specific circumstances.
One size almost certainly doesn't fit all.  How ever you do it, if you
manage to enhance the perception of security while reasonably continuing to
serve your customers' needs, then you've probably done well.

On this thread, I would be interested to hear more about:
 1) suggestions for improving either default approach, or
 2) how to manage the inevitable exceptions

In the interest of full-disclosure:  In implementation I stand with the
default-allow crowd (to the expected variety of support and dismay:-).

Mark.