Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Server Policy (electronic evidence)

From: Jeni Li <jeni.li () ASU EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:34:32 -0700

Check out your local HTCIA chapter for a good way to get to know those electronic crimes folks and what they need from
you in terms of evidence preservation.
http://www.htcia.org/

Also InfraGard for cybercrime contacts in the FBI.
http://www.infragard.net/

It's important to have a chain-of-custody procedure in place BEFORE you need it, because the first impulse of us
curious geeks is to trample all over the evidence trying to figure out what happened. And it's good to have the
relationships in place with local/state/federal LE before you have an incident.

Jeni Li
Arizona State University