Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Server Policy

From: Greg Jackson <gjackson () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:21:11 -0500

One added step, which has made our law-enforcement friends happier: When
we preserve an extract from a compromise and/or logs, we digitally sign
the extract and then write it to an CD-R, which we then keep in a safe.
This custody-chain stuff has been important in several cases.

BTW, if you haven't, it's interesting to have your local
electronic-crimes folks (especially the FBI ones, who are often young
and quite savvy and good) come talk to a pizza lunch for campus system
administrators. Nothing like actually having a chance to interact to
build trust, gain mutual understanding, etc. They'll do stock
PowerPoint, of course, most of it very boilerplate. But then they'll
take questions.

Joel Rosenblatt wrote:

In cases where we are interested in preserving the evidence, we have
the compromised HD removed and a new system is built on a new HD.  The
drives have gotten
so cheep now that this is not usually a problem.

If that can't be done, we have the contents of the machine tar'ed or
zip'ed, backed up somewhere and then the machine is rebuilt.