Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: UC Berkeley Prof warning a class of students that the person who stole his laptop is in a heck of a lot of trouble....

From: John Nunnally <Nunnally () HARDING EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:54:32 -0500

Also, wouldn't this professor be held accountable for putting all of this
secure information on a laptop that he leaves laying around in public places
when someone could pick it up and walk off with it? He can rave all he
wants, but he was the one responsible for securing all this stuff, not the
thief.  I don't see the thief being guilty of anything but theft.  The
professor is a different story.

John N.