Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data on sensitive computers Was: UC Berkeley Prof warning a class of students that the person who stole his laptop is in a heck of a lot of trouble....

From: Samuel Liles <sliles () PURDUE EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:43:43 -0500

 -----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Jon E. Mitchiner
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 9:36 AM

This brings up interesting questions.  Are there security measures that your
school takes to protect sensitive computers/laptops/hard drives (such as
Accounting, Health Services, etc?)

Do you force all sensitive data to be saved on a remote server in a secure
location (perhaps utilizing Terminal Services)?  I am starting to wonder if
this is something that we should investigate into with sensitive departments
so if the hard drives are stolen then we'd like to know there's not much we
should be worried about.

-----End Original Message-----

Since I have some of the same issues that the UC Berkley Prof was discussing
I've been looking at http://www.pointsec.com/core/default.asp as a possible
solution. Unknown at this point if it would actually work, if there is a
performance hit, or other issues. It would be nice to get for evaluation. It
would seem to solve the Knoppix CD in the CDROM drive issue. Along with BIOS
passwords, Grub Passwords, and encrypted file systems.

--------------------------
Sam Liles
Purdue University Calumet
Assistant Professor CISIT