Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Email

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:58:47 -0400

"Secure e-mail" is a neat myth. I'm assuming you mean end-to-end
encryption via SMTPS for sending and IMAPS/POPS for receiving? Please
keep in mind that this does nothing for "securing" the mail during
storage, nor does it "secure" mail from "non-S" clients that use SMTP or
IMAP/POP, and transfer that allegedly secured e-mail over the wire(s) en
claire.

If you're referring to another mechanism, feel free to elaborate.