Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () UMN EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:30:09 -0500

H. Morrow Long wrote:

Note that we believe that we have also recently seen
another expected evolutionary trend in IRC DDoS "bots"
-- not just a use of ports outside the range 6666-7000 --
but the use of encrypted IRC traffic, possibly IRC over SSL
(which was going to TCP port 7000 in these cases btw),
so as to escape detection by IDSes and human analysis.

Phatbot (aka Polybot) versions were seen using stunnel to encrypt
traffic this past spring (March and April). The servers I found were
apparently running stunnel on port 1331/tcp which is what the bots
talked to. stunnel then presumedly decrypted the traffic and passed it
up to port 6667/tcp on the same host, which was the C&C IRCd. Detection
was possible when the bots tried to spread to other hosts (then looking
for 1331/tcp traffic to the controller once it was discovered).

I regularly see the IRCd on a non-standard port. I'm currently tracking
botnets using 5555/tcp, 61637,tcp, 19899/tcp, 18067/tcp, 4356/tcp,
13001/tcp, and 65535/tcp. And these are only the non-standard ones I've
seen used in the past 4 days; I've seen many, many more ports used in
the past. Put simply, if you solely are counting on your port filtering
to prevent these worm-bots, you are failing already.

Brian

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst