Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

UofRMachineCheck 1.0.3.1 available

From: "Faigle, Chris" <cfaigle () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:43:53 -0400

Hi.

        The control now:
                - Uses a different set of registry keys (thanks to the
Symantec engineers for their help here)
                - Can uniquely determine if the installed SAV is the
Corporate Edition (the keys above are only in the CE)
                - Returns the version information of the client (Major,
Minor, Patch, Build)
                - Returns the parent server

        We are going to use this additional information at registration
to:
                - Move all our students to the Symantec AV CE 9.0
version, which has some spyware and adware features that we want to make
sure all our students have.  Our current base has a mix from 7.5->8.x.
                - Make sure that they are installed as "Managed" (i.e.
pointing to our parent server) so that we get the virus reports from all
the machines and also can schedule scans, etc.

        Test Page:
http://www.richmond.edu/~cfaigle/UofRMachineCheck/TestMachineCheck.htm
        Download Page:
http://is.richmond.edu/techsupport/security/Downloads.htm

        If you have a previous version on a machine, you should:
                go to C:\[Windows|Winnt]\system32
                regsvr32 /u UofRMachineCheck.dll
                del UofRMachineCheck.dll

        Next, I'm going to change the GetMachineStatus property to a
method, and have it take a 'key' in order to add a hash to the returned
string so that all the results can be processed and verified on the
server rather than in the (user-insecure) browser.

Best,
Chris Faigle
IS Security
University of Richmond