Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Ken Shaurette <kmshaurette () MPCCORP COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:32:40 -0600

I would concur with Jeff Giacobbe, especially on the point that if
strong passwords are desired make them strong when they enter them.
"make sure that users can't ever select weak passwords"

From a security purist, the password cracking should never be done to
the point where the password can be displayed in clear text otherwise we
are creating as much a problem as we are trying to resolve.  With
cracking tools you are essentially eliminating authentication and most
importantly accountability.

At any institution where passwords are cracked, if a user were found to
be doing illegal things (pornography, sharing music) under their
account, they would have the perfect defense, because someone else could
know their password. I'd sure state that someone else knew my password
and look it is common practice for the system administrators to look up
the passwords, I believe one of them must have told someone else my
password.

Yes the hackers are doing it, that does not make it right.  A better
solution is to use tools that can identify the strength of the password
without actually divulging its content to the tool user.  Better yet
follow Jeff's advice and implement controls, processes, procedures and
awareness that results in users never choosing a weak password in the
first place.

Even if you crack the password and warn them, the same user is just as
likely to choose another weak one.

Why?  Because they can.

Ken
------
        MPC
        (P) (262) 523-3300 x60486
        (F) (208) 898-2383
------
National Security Awareness Day - September 10, 2004 - Are you aware?
------