Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Ron Parker <rparker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:07:32 -0500

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jason Richardson wrote:

IMO, actively running LC or something else on the network to crack
faculty/staff passwords is a pretty aggressive practice and I'm frankly
surprised that the original poster's org gets away with it if they
disclosed to everyone what they intended to do.  Punishing them for not
using a strong password is even more aggressive and I can't even imagine
bringing that up with management here.  We instituted higher complexity
requirements and a self-service module early last year and we will be
increasing those requirements again this year.

---
Jason Richardson
Manager, IT Security and Client Development
Enterprise Systems Support
Northern Illinois University
Voice: 815-753-1678
Fax: 815-753-2555
jasrich () niu edu

From a network security standpoint, this seems like pretty standard
countermeasures to me. I consider this to be the network security
equivalent of physical campus security rattling doorknobs at night to see
if the door is locked. A poor password is an unlocked door.

If you want to see something scary, do a password crack and see how many
of your faculty/staff/administrators with access to HIGHLY sensitive data
are using ridiculously insecure passwords. I've had several security
incidents that started with such poor passwords and other poor security
practices.

I've never "punished" anyone for a bad password. I've considered asking
for the power but I don't think it is appropriate in our collegial
environment. However, I have definitely talked to a supervisor or two
after repeated suggestions for better passwords to an individual fell on
deaf ears.

In my case, I don't enjoy being the one to have to deal with these
security incidents. My management backs me on that. I can guarantee that
they will back me if I tell them I'm trying to keep us off the front pages
of the newspapers.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111