Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking .ZIP attachments

From: John C Borne <jcb () LSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:20:52 -0500

All,

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Joe, I like your idea of sending the
husk of the email through and yes, please do send specifics on what you're
doing to me at jcb () lsu edu.

A little more background on what we have in place now. We are running
Sophos PureMessage in our outer SMTP layer and Symantec AV for Domino on
our inner layer. We are still in implementation of Sophos so we haven't
explored everything with it. We do have a site agreement for Norton at the
desktop, but no campus-wide policy requiring its use as I noticed in one of
the other replies.

Thanks.

John Borne
Louisiana State University

                      Joe St Sauver
                      <JOE@OREGON.UOREG        To:       jcb () lsu edu
                      ON.EDU>                  cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [SECURITY] blocking .ZIP attachments
                      08/19/2004 06:08
                      PM

Hi John,

#We have a problem with viruses penetrating the campus "under the radar" so
#to speak. Before a new virus is detected and the anti-virus update is
#written, received, and distributed, we have a window of vulnerability.

Have you considered supplementing your A/V product with an attachment
defanging/stripping/quarantining system? (see
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/emailsecurity/email-security.pdf at pp 7)

#In the past we have lost a considerable amount of time repairing these
#outbreaks. The vector for many of these infections has been through
#attachments especially .ZIP's. At first we were intermittently blocking
#.zip and other attachments; going back and forth between blocking and
#accepting as each new virus appeared. We found that keeping the zip's
#blocked had a big impact on minimizing the impact of new virii.

You may see equal value from defanging them (e.g., basically tacking a
.txt extension on the end of the filename), although that still results
in a tremendous amount of potential wasted space.

#Before I propose this to the
#administration, I wanted to see if anyone could comment on whether they
#are, or are not, blocking zip's and other attachments and if not, what
#other solutions they have considered.

We block/quarantine some stuff outright (pif's, scr's, cpl's), strip some
other executables (still delivering the message "husk" explaining what's
been done), and defang other categories. If you're interested, I'd be happy
to send along more specifics...

Regards,

Joe