Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virus / Network issue mitigation methods

From: Craig Blaha <blaha () TCNJ EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:19:46 -0500

Niedens, Travis wrote:

All,

Below I have a survey comprised of yes/no questions that cover different
methods that our institution has discussed to avoid the issue we saw last
fall with Blaster.  I would appreciate that if you choose to respond that
you respond directly to me.  I am more than willing to compile percentages
per question and release them to the group in the interest of others
learning from this survey.  I will not publish any specifics mentioned to
insure confidentiality and security.  I would really your response.

All questions are yes/no.  If you answer yes, please specify if you do not
mind.

1.  Does your institution require student users to register their computers
before gaining network access?

Yes - we use a homegrown application that matches MAC address to student
personal information.

2.  Does your institution require student users to connect to a domain if
Windows is used?

no

3.  Does your institution require a specific version of Windows for network
access and support?

windows 98 and up

4.  Does your institution provide student users with Anti-Virus software and
updates for that software?

starting fall 2004

5.  Does your institution provide student users with Operating System
updates?

not regularly - we have provided cd's of updates for blaster, nachia/welchi

6.  Does your institution use a dynamic network registration system to allow
users to connect to the network?

no

Thanks,

Travis Niedens
Network Manager
University of Redlands

Phone: (909) 748-6328
Fax:   (909) 793-2029
VoIP Phone: (909) 799-4778
VoIP Extension: 4778

"Defending the Network from Human Nature".. Cisco