Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: BitTorrent & eDonkey/Overnet

From: "Barros, Jacob" <jkbarros () GRACE EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:39:44 -0500

I have applications like those squeezed so that it never uses more than
1K of our pipe.  Yes, it's cruel but effective.  It still allows people
to use the app but 'keeps the beggars out'.  If someone comes to me with
a valid application I just bump up the rate for a certain amount of
time.  This process works well for now as there is little use of those
apps here.

Our philosophy with P2P and most file sharing tools is to discourage
them as much as possible.  Users who have legitimate reasons for using
those tools do come in and 'complain' about the transfer speed.  We make
exceptions at that point.