Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DOS/Broadcast Storm analysis

From: Brian Kaye <bdk () UNB CA>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:00:11 -0400

We have had a bunch of similar incidents in the past.

Best plan is to start isolating the segments of the network briefly. Just
pull the fibre for a few seconds and see if the DOS goes away. You could
have multile "attackers" in which case the process needs to go the other
way. Remove all but one segment and add them until you see the bad
traffic. Then work your way out from there to distribution switches.

You could also go look at each switch and see which ports are generating
the most send traffic.

Is your network "flat" (only a few subnets)?

As for looking at the traffic cheaply, try "ethereal" on a UNIX box.
No diagnosis but you can capture the packets. Look at the MAC address of
the DOS traffic and find which switch has that in its forwarding database.

......Brian Kaye
......University of New Brunswick