Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DOS/Broadcast Storm analysis

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:17:06 -0800

:  We appear to be having a DOS, Broadcast Storm or equivalent activity
: happening at a time frame every day for about 45 minutes. Same time
: every day but we have no resources to analysis the traffic. Our college
: is relatively small with only about 300 staff and 1500 students. Is
: there a low cost solution for monitoring and diagnosing a switched IP
: environment? All buildings are home runned via fiber to our main network
: center. Suggestion for solutions are greatly appreciated since we have a
: very limited staff to support the network here.

Use open source software on an old PC.  Freeware network monitoring
programs include NTop, Nagios, MRTG, Ethereal, Etherape, etc...

scott