Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Port 25 blocking

From: Clyde Hoadley <hoadleyc () MSCD EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:18:21 -0700

Metropolitan State College of Denver has been blocking outgoing
TCP connections to port 25 (except for designated mail services)
for about 4 months now.  I also wanted to block POP and IMAP
but was over ruled.  We've only received two complaints and those
were easily appeased.

--
Clyde Hoadley, CISSP
Security & Disaster Recovery Coordinator

Tim Boshart wrote:

Our department has started to discuss blocking port 25 at our firewall
for all machines except for our mail servers. How many places are doing
this? Why did you implement this?
--
Tim S. Boshart             Information Technology Services
Goshen College             Voice: (574) 535-7004