Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Port 25 blocking

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:39:11 -0500

Tim Boshart wrote:

Our department has started to discuss blocking port 25 at our firewall
for all machines except for our mail servers. How many places are doing
this? Why did you implement this?

We did this in both directions a year or so ago.
At the time, it was for spam/blacklist prevention
and to force all email to be authenticated. We allow
the central mail servers and a few departmental
mail servers access. A couple of the departmental
mail servers have since started using the central
servers as a gateway to take advantage of our
additional filtering and AV protection.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services