Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Bagle-J

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:23:08 -0500

Our email systems are completely swamped today handling what
looks like Bagle-J.  The authoritative look to the email is
generated dozens of calls and requests to our Helpdesk.  This
is a very, very prolific emailer.  The message comes
from "management () oakland edu" or "noreplay () oakland edu" or
some other very official looking "from."
The message, after going through mail filters, reads as below-
 it just looks too authoritative and it is causing a
nightmare.

A message filter removed the following attachment(s) from

Dear user of Oakland.edu,

Some of our  clients complained about the  spam (negative e-
mail content)outgoing  from your  e-mail  account. Probably,
you have been  infected by a proxy-relay trojan  server. In
order to  keep your computer  safe,follow the instructions.

For details see the attach.

Cheers,
   The Oakland.edu  team
http://www.oakland.edu