Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Laptop Security

From: Cathy Hubbs <chubbs () GMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:37:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Bruhn <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Friday, January 23, 2004 1:28 pm
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Physical Laptop Security

There is also tracking software that you hide on the laptop, which
helpslocate it post-theft.  Our risk management department gives
departmentsa lower deductible if this software is installed.  If
one is stolen, the
next time it connects to the network, the software "phones home."

Computrace is one tracking software that several of our faculty and students have used and continue to purchase
http://www.computrace.com/public/products/computraceplus/default.asp

Cathy Hubbs
Information Technology Security Coordinator
Information Technology Unit
4400 University Drive, MS 1A6
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
703.993.4183