Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Introduction and preliminary question re: use of IDS/IPS

From: "Walsh, Brian R. (Information Services)" <brwal () CONNCOLL EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:12:59 -0500

We had a similar situation where we had two CISCO Netranger IDS probes that were several years old, difficult to
manage, and generally not very useful. We recently evaluated and purchased 3 NetScreen IDP boxes which have been in
place for about 2 months and have already proven to be extremely useful as well as easy to manage and update.

We have the NetScreen IDPs in-line on each of our three major sub-networks: Residence Halls, Academic, and
Administrative. This allows us to have different policies on each subnet and we have quickly taken advantage of the
ability to not only detect attacks but acutally drop certain types of traffic. This has helped in keeping virus traffic
off of our network as well as allowing us to block certain types of P2P traffic.

We aren't doing anything yet with host-based IDS or firewalls but I am looking at Cisco's security agent and ZoneLabs
endpoint security products as possible future solutions.

Brian Walsh
Connecicut College