Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Measures for InfoSec Progam - was Recommendations On Cabinet Level InfoSec position

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:21:08 -0400

I have enjoyed it as well.  I find academia usually has the model of the
ISO reporting to the CIO or VP of IT.  That is not how things are set up
here.  We are set up more like a high value data, checks and balances
system.  This structure, from my experience, is more common in banks,
govenrment, and some corporations.  I have a great CIO, who is
interested in security.  So I have no complaints.

But I do have a fear.  History shows that common measures for an IT
department are things like customer satisfacion.  Customer Sat, is often
driven by ease of use.  Security and ease of use come from "transparent"
expert based security.  The steady rise in the hostility of the Internet
 environment,  combined with the steady (exponential) rise in reported
vulnerabilities, demands either fewer systems, or a broader security
base.  Logically you can produce fewer systems through standardization,
which is very difficult in an academic environment with diverse
research, and interests.  Broadening the base means more user level
security.  Which often time is a lightning rod for poor customer
satisfaction.

I have been preparing my institution that as we get better at security
(and better at detection) security will appear to get worse, from a
number of incidents standpoint.  I mentioned this to a friend on our
Criminal Justice faculty who teaches computer crime, and he said "Sure,
it happens with police too, more police, more reported crime.  You just
don't have the right measures."

So here is my question, what drives a CIO? What are the measures used to
determine that they are doing well in security?

Jim

Rodney Petersen wrote:
I have enjoyed reading the lively, although diverse, responses to the
original question.  Jim, I think what you were looking for was the
letter from ACE President David Ward to all college and university
presidents this past February
(http://www.acenet.edu/washington/letters/2003/03march/cyber.cfm).

The specific recommendation states:

Establish responsibility for campus-wide Cybersecurity at the cabinet
level. At a large university, this responsibility might be assigned to
the Chief Information Officer. At a small college, this person may have
responsibility for many areas, including the institutional computing
environment.

Additionally, the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace
(www.securecyberspace.gov) states that "colleges and universities are
encouraged to secure their cyber systems by establishing . . . model
guidelines empowering Chief Information Officers (CIOs) to address
cybersecurity" (A/R 3-5).

Rodney Petersen
Project Director, Security Task Force
EDUCAUSE

At the Educause security professionals workshop, I believe that someone
mentioned that a college/university presidents group had a task force
which made the recommendation that a cabinet level position for
Information Security be created at colleges/universities.

Does anyone have a reference?

Does anyone have the text of the report/recommendation letter?

Jim
--
--
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM

PGP (jimmoore () mail rit edu): 9C33 0328 CD59 B602 82B8 8521 0DC9 963C D0C0

--