Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA subpoenas have arrived . . .

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:55:01 -0400

Excellent question, Eoghan.

I agree with your evaluation.  Nothing of which I am aware in law generally
requires the retention of netflow data unless specifically required by
compulsory legal papers such as a subpoena addressed to particular case,
traffic and data.

As everyone knows, but it is worth repeating, it is up to the institution
to determine the amount of netflow data needed for full back up and
maintenance operations and then whether, on top of that time, they want to
preserve for any other institutional/network purpose.  Many institutions
have conducted those studies and then decided to maintain only up to that
date.  There is no magic number for any one campus; one might only
recommend that the amount of time is a self-conscious decision on the part
of IT, libraries, legal counsel and any other relevant stakeholders in the
matter.  It is true that if you have it, it can be subpoenaed, and I would
never recommend, a la contemporary cases we all know about, attempting to
delete data once a specific case either looms (for example, if issued with
these kind of subpoenas) or is filed. Better to think out the
strategy/operational policy well in advance of a specific "case or
controversy" involving your campus.

Congratulations on your position with EDUCAUSE, and for providing me with
the opportunity to attach the aforementioned draft policy which I forgot to
attach before!

Best, Tracy