Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus VPN Services

From: Mark Poepping <poepping () CMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:40:24 -0400

in this example:
 . are your "filter-circumvention" requirements many-many or many-few?  i.e.
do people have Exchange servers and file shares all over the place or are
they mostly trying to get to [relatively few] enterprise Exchange servers or
File servers?
 . I guess I'm wondering about the possibility and potential benefits of
providing a general-purpose circumvention (e.g. vpn) for [all] users versus
a special-purpose exception for certain servers/services when you need it
(i.e. block 135, except to known clean servers that need 135 and should be
available)...  I wonder about giving the whole constituency a trapdoor
around whatever port filters.  If there are 10000 systems in homes (that are
largely unprotected from the internet) that have unfiltered access to the
rest of my campus, what does that do to the effectiveness of my filters?  I
know they still help, but I wonder how much, and that weighed against/with
the costs of the vpn..

mark.