Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Faculty Laptops

From: Michelle Mueller <muellerm () MTMARY EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 16:40:38 -0500

Some of our faculty have laptops that they take home to do work.  We are
wondering what to do about the security issues this causes.  If the
faculty member has broad band and no firewall (the laptops do not have a
firewall installed), their laptop could become compromised at home.
Then, when they attach their computer to our network, our network is
compromised.  The logical solution would be to install a firewall but
I'm worried that when it asks for permission for an application to
access the internet the user will answer wrong.   I'm wondering what
others are doing to solve this.

Thanks,
Michelle