Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Ethics of a University ISO

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () CIS RIT EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:47:34 -0500

I need assistance in locating references to literature on the Ethics of
an ISO and current trends in ethics as applied to students relative to
information.   The reason that I need it, is that I was asked to do a
seminar in an ethics series here at RIT.  Still being somewhat of the
corporate mindset, I said "Sure, no problem".  Then I realized that most
of the people attending this will be ethics dept students and faculty.

So I went to the ethics that I knew from the information security
profession (part of the Common Body of Knowledge is "law and ethics")
so I went to some of the reference books, ... a lot on law, little on
ethics.

Fortunately, a faculty friend loaned me a book on ethical theory, and so
I understand a little more, and intuitively I have been applying a
mixture of ethical theories.  But I was wondering, if any of you more
seasoned University ISOs or InfoSec professionals had ever had to do a
presentation on ethics and if you could share with me what you had found.

Jim Moore
Rochester Institute of Technology
jhmfa () cis rit edu
585-233-3802