BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Banking and state regulations regarding the transmission of banking routing/account information

From: Luther Martin <martin () voltage com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:31:39 -0700

I think that this is actually a bit weaker now. After the May 2008 change 1, this now reads:

C. Manage and Control Risk. Each credit union
should:
1. Design its information security program to control the
identified risks, commensurate with the sensitivity of the
information as well as the complexity and scope of the
credit union's activities. Each credit union must consider
whether the following security measures are appropriate
for the credit union and, if so, adopt those measures the
credit union concludes are appropriate:
c. Encryption of electronic member information,
including while in transit or in storage on networks or
systems to which unauthorized individuals may have
access;

Which makes it look like they can dodge it if they really want to.

There are lots of laws and regulations that require businesses to "protect" or "safeguard" sensitive data, but it's
actually hard to find one that actually requires encryption to do this. There are state laws that require this (Nevada,
etc.), but those are the only ones that I know of.