BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Do the Payment Card Industry Data Standards ReduceCybercrime?

From: "Sasha Romanosky" <sromanos () andrew cmu edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:45:14 -0400

Thanks for the tip!

I think "cybercrime" might be too broad of an outcome to practically
measure, but it's a geat question. Oddly, the subcommittee seemed to be
under the impression that full PCI compliance is entirely sufficient to
prevent a breach. I hardly think anyone, especially those from the PCI
council, would make such a claim.

The other thing I learned is that its really hard to be articulate (and
correct) on the spot when pressed with questions in a house committee
hearing. :)

The archive video and transcripts are available at:
http://hsc.house.gov/hearings/index.asp?ID=185